****Effective February 9, 2015, Alabama Department of Public Safety has increased all driver license fees by $12.75 *****


Driver's License Information:
Every Alabama resident who operates any motor vehicle must have a valid driver's license. All applicants who have not been licensed in Alabama or whose Alabama license has been expired for over three years must pass the required driver's examination given by the Alabama Department of Public Safety.

The driver's license manual may be viewed on the web at the following address:

Drivers License issuances can be obtained at the Jacksonville State Trooper’s Examining Post on Hwy 21 just south of Jacksonville in Calhoun County. 

1703 Pelham Rd South
Jacksonville, AL  36265

Application should be made in your county of residence. Study guides for the auto, motorcycle, and commercial vehicle are available and can be picked up in person at any Calhoun County License Commissioner's Office or Alabama Law Enforcement Agency  location. (Study guides will not be mailed.)  

**All first-time issuances of Driver Licenses, CDLs, and Non-driver Identification must be made at an examining post. Any changes to the endorsements of a license, such as those pertaining to vision, vessel privileges, or motorcycle privileges must be made at an examination office.

The Calhoun County Commissioner of License Office is a renewal site only. No first-time issuances are made at either the Ken Joiner County Administration building or the Alvin E. Gibbs Annex in Piedmont.

** No Driver License transacations are processed at the Alexandria Community Center location.

Commercial Driver Licenses may be renewed at the Ken Joiner Administration building in Anniston or the Alvin E. Gibbs Annex Office in Piedmont as long as all DOT information is current with Alabama Law Enforcement Agency. If you wish to make changes to any portion of your CDL, or discontinue the license, the transaction must take place at an examination office.

Any questions regarding the issuances of first-time driver permits, driver licenses,  privilege endorsements, non-driver identification or Commercial Driver License should be directed to an examination post. The number to the Jacksonville State Trooper's post is 256-435-7006.

The STAR ID is issued at any examining post with proper qualifying documentation. STAR IDs will be required for all US citizens boarding a domestic flight or entering certain regulated federal facilities after December 1, 2020. For more information visit the Alabama Department of Public Safety website at www.alea.gov or call 877.567.1045.

Motorcycle License:
The motorcycle manual can be viewed on the Alabama Department of Public Safety Website or by clicking here. The motorcycle skill test is currently not applicable in Alabama; however, a written exam is required to obtain a motorcycle endorsement. For further questions please contact the State Trooper Office in Jacksonville at 256-435-7006.
Boating License Information:
Information involving boating licenses can be obtained from the Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources - Marine PoliceDivision. The boating booklet and test are available on-line. Once certification is obtained, you may add your vessel endorsement at the Jacksonville State Troopers Examining Post, or any examination office in the state of Alabama. Vessel licenses cannot be issued in either the Anniston or Piedmont locations of the Commissioner of License offices. Direct questions to the State Trooper Post in Jacksonville regarding the first-time issuance of a vessel privilege.

Non-Driver Identification Cards: 
An individual seeking any license or identification card for the first time in Alabama will need to report to the Examining Post.  For information regarding necessary documentation and hours, please call 256-435-7006.

Renewals and Duplicates:
Alabama driver’s licenses, non-driver identification cards, vessel licenses and motorcycle licenses may be renewed at the Calhoun County Commissioner of License Office in Anniston or at the Alvin E Gibbs County Annex in Piedmont.

**NEW**  Your Alabama driver's l cense can be renewed up to 180 days in advance of its expiration. 

Duplicates may also be issued at these locations with the proper forms of identification.

For your convenience, your Alabama Driver License can be renewed on line one time. Please visit www.alea.gov for further information. You will click on the "my driving" tab on the home screen and choose "renew my driver license". All questions regarding this process must be directed to the Alabama Law Enforcement Agency at your local examiner's post. Please call 256-435-7006 for more information on renewing your driver license on line.

Replacing lost or stolen ID or driver’s license:
If your license is lost, destroyed or becomes illegible, but has not yet expired, you should apply for a duplicate license. You will be asked to furnish acceptable identification from the following list of documents:

** A Social Security Card is required PLUS one of the acceptable documents listed below.

  • Certified US birth certificate
  • Current US Passport
  • Alabama identification card
  • Alabama driver license
  • Temporary License or ID

NOTE:Xerox and FAX copies are not acceptable. You may be required to furnish additional documents to support your claim of identity. Birth certificates must be certified copies only. 
**Your social security card alone is not proof of identification.  You will be required to show another form of documentation listed above.

For a complete listing of acceptable forms of identification please visit Alabama Department of Public Safety

Military Personnel


Military personnel out of state at the time of their renewal may contact the Alabama Department of Public Safety at http://www.alea.gov to download a form to submit a request for an out of state renewal.

Commercial Driver's Licenses:


All CDL licenses may be obtained and renewed at an examiner’s post. For questions regarding the renewal of a Commercial Driver License, please contact the Jacksonville State Trooper Post at 256-435-7006.

Reinstatements of Suspended Licenses:

Any reinstatements of suspended licenses and all questions need to be directed to an examiner’s post.  The number to call in Jacksonville for driver license reinstatements is 256-782-1322. 

For your convenience, Driver License Reinstatement Offices are located throughout the state of Alabama.  You may inquire to any of the Reinstatement Offices throughout the state regarding the reinstatement of your Driver License.  


Birmingham     205-252-0426
Huntsville        256-536-2365
Montgomery   334-242-4259

For a complete list of Reinstatement Offices statewide, please visit the Alabama of Public Safety's website at http://www.dps.state.al.us


 Driver License Fees
Class D Operator License $36.25  Vessel Operator License $36.25
Motorcycle License $36.25 (plus $5 test fee)   ID cards
62 yrs +
Learner's License $36.25 (plus $5 test fee) Duplicate
Identification Cards
Out of State License Transfers  $36.25 (plus $5 transfer fee)
**CDL licenses are to be obtained and renewed at an Examiner’s Post.    **Reinstatements of suspended licenses are to be done at an Examiner’s Post  
Identification Card No Age
Class D Learner License 15 years old
Class D 16 years old
Motor Driven Cycle 14 years old
Vessel License 12 years old