Our office would like to assist you in registering your vehicle in Calhoun County.  We've outlined some of the basic requirements in this section of our site.
  • When purchasing or leasing a new or used vehicle, the new owner must register the vehicle within twenty (20) days at the Commissioner of Licenses office.  If the vehicle is acquired from a licensed Alabama dealer, then the dealer should apply for theAlabama certificate of title.  It is the owner's responsibility to register the vehicle in his/her home county within twenty (20) calendar days.
**NOTE:  The Piedmont Annex of the Commissioner of Licenses office does not process Alabama or Out-of-State titles or replacement and/or lost titles.

Vehicle Purchased From An Alabama Dealer
If vehicle was purchased from an Alabama Dealer, please bring the following:

  • Alabama Department of Revenue title application.
  • Bill of Sale from the Dealership to show sales tax being collected at the time of the sale or any applicable trade-in.
  • If available, a legible copy of most recent tag registration (for tag transfer).
  • Motor vehicle dealer affidavit for ad valorem tax information when purchasing a used vehicle.
  • Proof of current on insurance including the NAIC number and policy number for the vehicle being registered. This may be electronic information transmitted via email on a smart or via fax to the Commissioner of License Office. Your license clerk can give you the fax number at the time of visit to the licensing office.
  • Driver license number and expiration date for each person on the title.
  • Vehicle must be registered within twenty (20) calendar days from the date of purchase or a $15.00 late penalty will be assessed at the time of registration.

**Please note:  The Calhoun County Commissioner of License Office does not process title applications for any other designated agent/licensed dealer from the state of Alabama.

Purchased from an Individual with an Alabama Title
If vehicle was purchased from an individual with Alabama title, please bring the following:
  • Original title (signed by the seller).  
  • Bill of Sale
  • Proof of current insurance on the vehicle being purchased
  • Odometer reading is required for any transfer of a motor vehicle less than ten (10) years old and under 16,000 lbs. 
  • If vehicle is 35 years old or older, a bill of sale is required; buyer must also provide make, model, year, vehicle identification number (VIN) and color.  
  • Vehicle must be registered within twenty (20) calendar days from the date of purchase.
Owner named on title as the new buyer must be present, or give someone a notarized power of attorney to title for him/her.  By law, the specific individual(s) who is/are the legal owner of a vehicle must personally apply for his/her Alabama title certificate and license plates.  Unless a power of attorney form is completed by the legal owner and notarized, no other person (even a spouse or other family member) may complete these transactions. Fax copies of power of attorney forms are not acceptable.  If two buyers are on the title and their names are joined by "and", both must come in or give the other person power of attorney; if the names are joined by "or", either may come in.  The registrant must have his/her Alabama driver's license or state issued identification card.
Purchased Out of State
If vehicle was purchased out of state, the following is required to register the vehicle:
  • The original title or Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO)
  • Bill of Sale, required to determine sales tax liability.
  • Proof of Insurance
  • Owner must come in person (as previously stated).
  • Vehicle must be registered within twenty (20) calendar days from the date of purchase or within twenty (20) days of entering the State, or a $15.00 late penalty will be assessed at the time of registration.
  • Vehicle must be present for inspection at the Anniston location only.

Registration of Out of State Vehicle
If vehicle currently is registered out-of-state and moving to Alabama, the following is necessary to register the vehicle:
  • Original Title
  • Proof of Alabama Insurance
  • Vehicle must be present for inspection at the Anniston location only.
  • Registrant named on title must come in person.
Please Note: When you register a vehicle with an out-of-state registration, you MUST bring the vehicle for inspection in order to verify that the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) on the vehicle matches the title or registration documents.  This inspection is not to verify the condition or safety of the vehicle.
Registration of Vehicles Which are Financed
Vehicle financed when purchased out-of-state or from Alabama individual, please bring the following:
  • Copy of original title, front and back from lien holder.
  • Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri,  Montana, New York, New Jersey, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Wisconsin and Wyoming are states that send original title to the owner and not the lienholder.  Owners from these states must surrender the title to obtain the Alabama title.
  • Copy of registration from the previous state of residence.
  • Vehicle must be present for inspection at the Anniston location only when coming from a state other than Alabama.
  • Registrant must come in person.
  • Registrant must bring proof of Alabama insurance.

  Leased vehicles which are currently registered out of state will require the following:

  • Original title from lessor   ** We can request this if the lessor requires a formal request.
  • Power of attorney from lessor to individual registering the vehicle
  • Copy of registration from previous state of residence
  • Vehicle present for VIN/ odometer inspection at the Anniston office
  • Proof of Alabama insurance
  • Registrant must come in person

Commercial vehicles owned by firms, corporations, or association will be registered in the county where the vehicle is based.

Replacement Titles

A completed application for title replacement (MVT 12-1 Form) can be mailed directly to the State Department of Motor Vehicles along with a $15.00 cashier's check or money order made payable to the Alabama Department of Revenue. These forms are available at the Calhoun County Commissioner of Licenses office or this website. The replacement title is mailed to the applicant normally within 2 or 3 weeks. 

A second option for applying for a replacement title is now available.  Application for a replacement title can be made by the registered owner of a vehicle at the Calhoun County Commissioner of License Office for a fee of $18.00.  This application is currently available at the Anniston and Alexandria locations.  The Piedmont Annex does not offer title services.  
**PLEASE NOTE: Only the registered owner of a vehicle may apply for a replacement title after showing proper proof of identification and vehicle information.



Contact Us

If you have any questions relating to tag or title information, please call the Calhoun County Commissioner of License Office at  256-241-2900 or email  alib@calhouncounty.org.  We will try to provide you with the answer to your question as soon as possible.